Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Down to the place where we started from

Sarah McLachlan, Key Arena, July 5th

It turns out that before we even met, Lisa and I were going to concerts together. I believe Nirvana at the Coliseum in 1994 was the first. We were across the arena from each other. But I like to think that the first one we went to was Sarah McLachlan at the Moore Theater in October, 1994 (go here for someone else's recollection of the show). I was sitting in the second row, center, and Lisa sat in the second row, right. We both remembered how great that show was, recalling not only the music, but also the onstage antics (just a background, on that night, it was the end of a long tour, and by that time, the band and crew were playing a lot of practical jokes on each other. During the show, Sarah said something pretty innocuous, but funny, between songs (something about relationships, I think). Then, during a moment of quiet, the engineering crew played it back in a loop -- omitting the beginning of the phrase "Don't get me wrong" and the end "but". So picture Sarah talking to a rapt crowd, the room dark. Then you hear booming from the PA: "I love penises...I love penises...I love penises". It looked like she was going to crap her pants from laughter and embarrassment. It was a moment never to be forgotten. And another moment, the crew brought out a stair master onstage for the exercise-crazy backup singer, Camille. I believe she sang on a couple of songs while doing steps on the machine.)

We've seen her a few times in the years since that night. Let's see, I think a couple of times when she was the only one on the bill, and a couple of not so enjoyable Lillith Fair festivals (at the first LF, she played a surprise solo acoustic set to folks off to the side of the main entrance. We caught it as she started playing). And we've bought practically everything she's ever released. Yes, even the forgettable Surfacing album. Which brings me to a point. I/we love Sarah. She's awesome. Unmatched in musical talent and singing ability. She's even a sweetheart in public. But there are two things that bug me. First, it takes almost five years or so between albums (in between you get remixes and live recordings). Second, and it's parly because of the first reason, she retreated into Adult-Contempo-Crap with Surfacing in 1997. Okay, upon first listen of all her albums, we can agree that they all pretty much seem the same. But then listen to the early ones, especially ther first three: Touch, Solace, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. There's a certain new-age mystical sound to them, a kind of edge that on the surface sounds pretty harmless and beautiful, but not mainstream palatable. Then with Surfacing, you can tell she was ready for the big time. And sadly, as it is with many artists with a cult-like (though not small, in her case) following, her mainstream "debut" was with an album that was downright dull. (But Rod! She says Fucked Up on its first single, "Mystery"!) The tone of each song was the same as the rest on the album. And with the release of the single, "Adia", she descended into to Easy Listening Hell. Blecch.

Fast forward to 2004 with the release of Afterglow. It's a little bit like Surfacing, but it's also like Fumbling, her best and most original album. The first single, "Fallen", is pretty good. (And it looks good, too. In the video, she spends a lot of time in a tub ;) ) Anyway, the album sounded promising, so when Lisa brought up the idea of seeing Sarah in concert, I was onboard.

Now, I'll tell you, last night, it was a so-so show for me. Personally, I've got to quit having all sorts of expectations, because in the end, those expectations will not be met. Works just about every time. But hey, if you spend over fifty bucks for a ticket, I'm thinking I have a right to be wowed. But it was not to be.

Highlights

Great seats. We sat in the first section of seats not on the floor, in the first third of seats closest to the stage.
Performance. Sarah's still got the pipes
Like a homecoming. She's from BC, so she visits often. I get the feeling that she thoroughly enjoys playing here.
Playing the oldies. Whenever she played songs from before 1997, I cheered my heart out. More on that later...
Covers. Listen to her version of the Beatles' "Blackbird" on the I am Sam soundtrack. She sang it beautifully last night.
Still hot. Sarah looks better with age, and motherhood has added an extra something. Plus, she wore a backless shirt last night. Pretty cool...


Lowlights

The stage and set. Waayyy too big. Even with eight people or so in the band, the stage was too large. Then there was the set. Ugh. Let's see on the wings, were steps to other platforms, decorated to look like rocky grottos. When they wanted to do their more "intimate", stripped down songs, they moved to the wings. Then they would crowd around whatever person was playing. Too cutesy. Then there was the set decorations. Columns of "rock" hanging down. A little too Stonehenge for me. Which is a good way to segue into my impression that there was an ironic nod to Spinal Tap going on.
The band entrance. I like it when bands just walk on stage when the lights go down. Last night, there was a curtain in front of the stage. When the lights went down, the curtains lit up. When they opened, the band did this coordinated and choreographed walk to their positions. Um, yeah. I didn't come here to see Madonna.
Wake me when it's over. As I said before, most of Sarah's songs sound the same. They're pretty mellow. But you shouldn't start your set with six of your mellowest songs. Tired as I was, I found it odd that I didn't fall asleep.
Jack Black wannabe. The lead guitarist seemed like he was lost, like he was in an 80s glam band then woke up in this one. His solos were done with the traditional rock god power stance. When he wanted to put emphasis on the feedback, he'd do the hold the guitar vertically with one hand maneuver. Even better, and even more repeated, he would hold the guitar two handed over his head. And I love it when dudes like that play to the crowd, as if he were the main attraction. He might as well have been wearing leather chaps and a silk shirt unbuttoned all the way to expose beads and a gold-taloned necklace. And a silk headband wouldn't have hurt, either.


As to my earlier reference to cheering wildly, I had a moment of minor embarrassment. Somewhere towards the end of the set, I was resigned to listening to more adult contempo crowd faves. Several songs had gone by, none of them really appreciated by me. Then when the next song started, I could hear the familiar riff, and before the crowd could cheer in recognition of the song, I yelled wildly and started clapping loudly. Lisa, shocked, nudged me, eyes wide open. People in front of us, likely annoyed, turned to look at me. I looked at Lisa and said, "What?!"

She replied, "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean? I love this song!!"

"You've got to be kidding me."

"No way. It's about time they played something good!"

"Don't be an asshole." She looked at me hard.

I thought, what is she talking about? This song rules! I haven't heard it in years, live. Doesn't she know it's one of my fav.... I stopped all thought. Then I realized something.

Holy shit.

I buried my head in my hands, in horror. It's not even the right song, you moron! Then I put head on Lisa's shoulder, laughing sardonically at my mistake. You ass, I thought.

"What is it?" she asked. I turned and whispered it in her ear. Then I put my head back down, eyeing the stage.

Then she started laughing. "You what?!" she exclaimed, eyes wide.

"I thought it was "Possession" (from Fumbling) I said meekly.

"No!! It's "Mystery"!", she replied. Her shoulders shook. Tears of laughter already starting to form.

And there it was. It wasn't a big deal, but to her, to me, it was. Here I was, music snob, fan of only Sarah oldies, cheering like a maniac, for a song that I derided for an entire year, on an album that I compared to monkeys throwing feces at a keyboard. I don't make mistakes like that. Either I was hoping so hard for a good song that I cheered for the first familiar popular one I heard, or I actually kind of like the song to begin with.

And all the while, Lisa shook and laughed. Nose flaring, probably not even breathing. Wiping tears from her eyes. I just went back to my shame, buried my head in my hands and moaned. Fuck...

After ten or so minutes, when she finally stopped giggling, I tried to explain to her what I was thinking ("I was desperate to hear..."). She just smirked. "Whatever!" I winced with pain, which set her off on another fit of laughter. I thought she was going to have a stroke.

I just sighed, face down. Later on, I realized once again, Sarah gave me -- for better or for worse -- a concert experience I'd never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home