Friday, June 11, 2004

The Better Bus

I've been out of the loop. I'd read that late last year Seattle Metro Transit was going to be road testing GM's new line of fuel-saving hybrid buses. Apparently, they've been doing just that for a while now. Today, I got the chance to ride on one. In the bus tunnel, I noticed that the first bus coming my way wasn't attached to the electric cable, the way that most buses in the tunnel are supposed to be. Then I noticed that buses going the other way were doing the same thing. I didn't know that most of them (if not all) were the new hybrids. No wonder it didn't stink too badly like diesel in the tunnel. The one I got on was painted white as opposed to the standard Metro green and yellow (I didn't notice until later that this was for advertising; GM had its logo and the catchphrase, "Ride the Better Bus" emblazoned on the sides). There are no steps to get onto the bus; it's all one floor level, and the driver's seat is elevated. One cool feature is the hand straps that hang on the rails in the aisle. And (for now), the bus was clean!

I like these buses a lot. It's supposed to save Seattle a lot of money on fuel, and the engines are supposed to be cleaner and more efficient. It's a big step in the right direction.

Links:
CheersAndGears.com
Fleets & Fuels
Puget Sound Business Journal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home