Thursday, August 12, 2004

Real People for Kerry

MoveOn.org chose a winner for its Real People Ads contest. Among the finalists are folks who voted for Bush in 2000 but will not this time around. Among them are Iraq War vets, CEOs, contractors, Southern Baptists, former diplomats -- your "stereotypical" GOP supporters. The consistent theme seems to be betrayal: betrayal regarding reckless spending that weaken the economy; betrayal by "liberating" people in foreign countries while people here don't have health care; betrayal by touting "No Child Left Behind" while cutting education programs; betrayal by opening up public lands to corporations to exploit; betrayal by giving tax breaks to companies that send jobs overseas; betrayal by squandering our nation's esteem in the eyes of the world.

The first thought is to gloat, like Ha! You fools! You voted for this guy. Now look at the mess we're in! Sure, I'm angry that we're in this mess and I'm pissed that enough people were fooled by the I'm-a-compassionate-conservative-down-to-earth-Bible-toting-but-don't-practice-what-I-preach-cuz-rules-don't-apply-to-me-look-at-me-I'm-from-Texas-I-got-a-ranch-and-it's-okay-to-be-a-dumbshit-because-I'm-not-that-smart-just-like-you-not-an-elite-commie-ass-pounding-liberal-gonna-bring-back-honor-to-the-White-House-but-I-intend-to-fuck-you-all-and-help-my-corporate-buddies-hope-you're-not-paying-attention-oh-and-looky-I'm-a-war-hero-cuz-I-wear-a-flight-suit-with-a-padded-crotch bullshit. Me? Oh, I'm over it, though :) But we have to get past the blaming and move on and fix this. I'm more sad than anything, when you get down to it, and I'm relieved that people have realized that we are going nowhere with this guy. Better late than never.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home